Saturday 22 November 2008

Digging for gold! A nifty little ebook on keyword searching

Lol, that's the title of the ebook indeed. I had a chuckle when I saw it.
I love it when I find interesting tools that are originally targeted towards something else, but I can then use them for my own purposes. Like this ebook.
Digging for Gold is an ebook written by a Google geek (yeah, he knows what he's talking about) on how to find keywords - and I mean the really good keywords - with less or no competition at all. It's original taget market is the Internet Market niche, however we can nicely utilise it for our jewelry marketing as well. How?

Well if you're making jewelry, you have to market it somehow. Yes, you might say, I'm only selling through Etsy, Dawanda, Ebay, etc. Well then, ok, read no further :)
There are those of us though, who have either our websites, or blogs, or both, maybe our Squidoo lenses, that we want people to find us. Heck we need to sell our jewelry, that's whay we're here in the first place, no? We're not going to sell that jewelry to other jewelry makers, obviously, so we need to find our market outside, among the regular folks, who simply are out there to buy stuff. Word of mouth is great, but how much of that population does that comprise? I mean optimizing your website for 'jewelry' will be DARN hard, since if you Google that, you'll find millions (yes millions) of established sites out there selling just that. So you need to be THAT more specific!

Based on Rena Klingenberg's book on social marketing, I've started some Squidoo lenses as well, and it looks like the whole exercise is worth it. But one thing Rena doesn't approach that well is what exact keywords does the average, non hi-tech Jane Doe type in Google, to find some nifty jewelry to buy. Coz unless they know about my Marika's Jewelry on Dawanda, or type in the keywords that I used to set up my site or blog whenever I originally set it up, they might never find it, coz Google might never show it to them, since it doesn't find it relevant for the words the Jane Doe is typing in! What a wasted sale!

The TAKnique book shows you all the various ways to find keywords that people are typing in to find something in Google. Once you know those ways, how long does it take to work a bit on your site and optimize it for those very keywords? Of course, if she types in 'dog food', and you've optimized it as such, but when she gets to your site, you're selling beaded jewelry, she'll run away as fast as her mouse clicks allow her! Got my point? So obviously you need to find keywords around whatever you're selling.

One of my favourite tips was about how Google is lying to you, lol. Had a gigggle at that one!

One thing you need to keep in mind though, is that the book does not approach jewelry! So unlike Rena's book, which is specifically for jewellery, don't expect to be lead by hand on jewelry specific keywords! This guy gives you the techniques, tips and tricks, and it's up to you to apply them to your site. But it's so easy!

Oh I forgot the price. This gold digging book is only $17! I mean you pay for a specific instruction on how to make one piece of jewelry about the same! And yes, if you're asking, I'm advertising this book as it's good!

No comments: