Wednesday 5 November 2008

Why this Ebook reviews blog?

Well, I think it's because I've finally decided to combine three of my main passions : making jewelry, reading books and the internet. And now comes a hidden tidbit about me: I also love reading e-books. And no, I'm not talking about the illegally downloaded novels from torrents, emule and the such. If I have to choose, I love reading my novels with a cup of coffee next to me, or in the bed just before going to sleep, or yes, while taking a hot bubblebath.
I'm talking about the 'how-to' type of ebooks that teach you things you either didn't know, but were searching for desperately, or things you didn't even know you didn't know, or simply things that are interesting and always good to read about. And as making jewelry and the internet are my two main hobbies, I already have several ebooks that I either downloaded for free, or purchased, which I will review here. And of course, as an ebook junkie, I'll continue to supply myself with ebooks on these subject, so there will always be plenty to review here.
Thus my focus here will be on how to make it as a home based jewelry business artist on the net. I have ebooks on online marketing, on online selling, on creating your first (or second, etc) website, about SEO (search engine optimization), all these which constitue the building block for your new online jewelry business. Of course, if you are selling offline, unless you're an ebook junkie like me, there's not much to do here for you :)

Although I'm selling jewelry for over a year now, I've only now started to realise the potential that online marketing offers to us, jewelry designers who want to have our own jewelry home business. So I've started reading as much as I could on the subject, but then something else came along. I started to get lost in all that mumble jumble out there. Clicked from link to link, from SEO tip to SEO class to online marketing blog to keyword tracker website, then I forgot to bookmark this link or another when I wanted to come back to it. It was a nightmare. So I want to offer a common place for all these books, articles, blog posts (I will focus on ebooks, but I might mention here and there a good website, blog or whatnot, if I find it worthwhile your time), so that it makes for you, the newcommer to marketing and selling your product online, or for you who are already doing it, but would like to learn to do it better, much easier than it was for me to find that needle in that proverbial haystack. And yes, both free and paid ebooks can help you with learning the basics and much more.

I've had a chat not so long ago with somebody who perceived free books to be without value, and she only read books that she paid for. Well I am about to prove her wrong, as although I've read a couple of crappy free ebooks, I've also read some so-so, and some really good ones out there. For free.

Actually, the idea of blogging about ebooks came from such an ebook that I downloaded for free the other day.
Now I wouldn't consider that said ebook to be over the top full packed with goodies, but it had its merits as it got me started here. Also that same ebook gave me the needed push to start my own website. So was that ebook worthwhile my time reading it? Yes, I'd say so, I took something out of it.
My next post will be about that book as a matter of fact, since I've already mentioned it here.

One last thing, when I brainstormed about ebook reviewing with a friend, she asked me why am I doing this, do I want to sell ebooks now? No, I am not focusing here on selling ebooks. I will, however, post a link to where the ebook can be downloaded or purchased from, to make it easier on finding it.
Besides, I do have my product that I am actively selling through various avenues, Dawanda, my blog and shortly my upcoming website. Now yes, THIS is a sales pitch :)

No comments: